Mentor Advice ForumCategory: QuestionsHow do I become a continuing education (CE) provider?
Guest User asked 5 years ago

I am getting older and need to consider other viable career opportunities besides clinical dental hygiene. I was wondering about how one becomes a continuing education (CE) provider. I have some experience in public speaking and teaching but I only have an associate’s degree. Thank you for your advice.

1 Answers
JoAnn Galliano, MEd, RDH Staff answered 5 years ago

The best place to start, in my opinion, is to determine what you would be offering in the way of continuing education. What course topics are you hoping to teach? Who will be your audience? Do you hope to make this profitable enough to replace your clinical job? Unless you are hired by a company, create your own consulting business, or are sponsored by a company, providing continuing education would not, in my opinion, replace the salary earned as a clinician. Having only an associate’s degree also, in my opinion, is a disadvantage. In my experience, most of the CE providers have at least a baccalaureate degree unless they are company representatives, as some manufacturers do not require higher education levels. Finally, becoming involved with your local dental hygiene society is important. You will need a place to start offering CE courses and your local society can provide access to an audience.